Monday, November 12, 2012

Inside Out Project: Faceless



My idea for this project was inspired by this one song that I was listening to while brainstorming; the song is "Faceless" by RED, and I included some of the lyrics on the left. I've always really been drawn to masks in general, but it wasn't until I heard this song and saw a similar political cartoon that I had the idea for making someone faceless underneath the mask.

First I began looking at pictures of masks, I wanted one that was smiling, but slightly creepy, so a harlequin mask seemed perfect. The mask needed to actually be potraying an expression because I wanted it to contrast with the face (or lack thereof) underneath.Then I searched for a headshot of someone in black and white photography. Once I found the two images I wanted to use, I layered them on top of each other, cutting around the mask and re-sizing it to get it to be proportionate to the actual face. Then, I went back to the image underneath and used the smudge tool to slowly get rid of the eyes, mouth, and nose by scooting the skin color around over it. This was very time consuming and often frustrating, but the result was worth it. Finally, I added in the lyrics with the text tool, and voila~





No comments:

Post a Comment